How Do I Tell If It's Water Damage or Something Else?
Consider these tips for identifying water damage in your home.
Oh, that sinking feeling when you spot what you think is water damage in your home. But is it really water damage? It can be hard to tell, but there are a few simple guidelines that can help you know if it is damage from water or something else.
Look Closely at Wood Flooring
Stains can be present from any number of things. Spills, food, pets, dirt, and oil, just to name a few, can all look like water damage at first glance. But look closely. There are some telltale signs that there from water and not something else:
1. Is the floor soft and spongey? Wood floors don’t get that way from a small spill. If the flooring is soft, it’s likely from water.
2. Is the wood cupping? When wood flooring cups it means it dips in the middle and curves up on the edges. This generally only happens from exposure to a lot of moisture.
3. Is there buckling? This happens when a lot of moisture causes the wood boards to pull up from the subfloor.
Check Your Tile Floors
Tile floors can get damaged and worn over time, but when there’s water that’s caused the damage it can be identified in a few of ways:
1. Are the tiles loose? If there’s enough water the tile can unglue from the subfloor. This not only ruins the tile flooring, but will also make the subfloor a loss.
2. Is there discoloring? Are there stains? This could indicate a water problem. Tile is generally water proof or water resistant, so if there’s staining it could indicate excessive water exposure.
3. Is the grout deteriorating? Excess moisture can break down the grout prematurely. If your grout is breaking down and starting to decay and crumble, it could be an issue with too much moisture.
One of the most common ways to tell if you have any type of damage from a leak or a flood is by looking for standing water. If you don’t see that, it can sometimes be hard to tell if what you have is damage from water. If you can’t tell for sure after looking at the tips above, it’s probably time to call in a professional for an assessment.
If you think you might have water damage, or if you know that you do, contact Whitehall Carpet Cleaners 24/7 for quick response and effective water cleanup by calling 803-732-3200 or by clicking here.